How to Bet on Cricket
Cricket is a popular sport in the UK and betting on cricket is an exciting and profitable way to gamble.
Whether you're a novice or an experienced gambler, this guide will teach you what cricket betting is, how it works, and outline the different types of bets that you can place.
We will also share some top tips to help you to make a profit from cricket betting!
What is cricket betting and how does it work?
Cricket betting is the process of placing a bet on the outcome of a cricket match.
The most common type of cricket bet is a match bet, which is a bet on who will win a cricket match. You can also bet on other outcomes of the match such as the number of runs scored, or who will have the most fours.
How does it work?
There are many different betting markets to choose from, so you're certain to find something that interests you.
To start betting on cricket, follow these three simple steps:
- Step 1: Find a cricket betting site that offers markets that interest you.
- Step 2: Create an account and claim the welcome bonus for new customers.
- Step 3: Make a deposit.
Once you've done all of this, you can start betting on cricket.
Here is an example of the new account creation and signup bonus at the Coral sports betting site:
The best cricket events to bet on to make a profit
There are many cricket events that you can bet on, but some offer more value than others.
The most popular cricket events to bet on are:
- ICC Cricket World Cup
- T20 World Cup
- Indian Premier League (IPL)
- Caribbean Premier League (CPL)
- Big Bash League (BBL)
- Sheffield Shield First Class
- The Ashes Series
- The Asia Cup
- T20 Blast (Vitality)
- County Championship
- The Hundred
- Basil D'Oliveira Trophy
- Border–Gavaskar Trophy
Different types of cricket bets and how they work
There are many different types of bets that you can place. The most popular cricket bets are:
- Match winner bets;
- Outright bets;
- Totals bets; and
- Prop (proposition) bets.
Match winner bets
The match winner (moneyline) bet is the most common cricket bet and is a bet on who will win a cricket match.
Chennai Super Kings to win - 1.75
Mumbai Indians to win - 2.10
If you bet £20 on Mumbai Indians, and they win, you will make £42 (£20 wager x 2.10 multiplier) with a profit of £22.
However, if you were to bet £20 on Chennai Super Kings, and they happen to win, you will make £35 (£20 wager x 1.75 multiplier).
This is a simple bet where punters will predict who will win a cricket tournament or series.
If you bet £20 on Hampshire, and they happen to win the County Championship, you will make £80 (£20 wager x 4.00 multiplier) and your profit will be £60.
Totals (over/under) bets are bets where punters need to wager on a total score being over or under a specific number.
Different types of cricket totals bets include the 1st innings total score, 1st over total runs, total runs in the match, total match fours, total match sixes, batter match runs, total wickets, team total opening partnership, total highest individual score, and total wides.
Here is a cricket totals example for the same IPL cricket match between Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians presented by Unibet:
As you can see, the total 4s is set at 26.5. This means that you’re betting on whether there will be more or fewer than 26 fours in the match. If 27 or more fours are scored, the “over” bet wins, regardless of who wins the match. If 26 or less fours are scored, the “under” bet wins.
For the “over” bet, the bookie sets the odds to be 1.91. If you bet £20 on an "over" bet, and there are 27 or more fours scored in the match, you will make £28.20 (£20 wager x 1.91 multiplier) and your profit will be £18.20.
Prop (proposition) bets
Prop (proposition) cricket bets are bets placed on outcomes that are not related to the final match result.
Here are some popular cricket prop bets:
- Which team will win the toss;
- Which team or player will have the most match sixes;
- Which team or player will have the most match fours;
- Which team will have the most runs;
- Who will take the most wickets;
- Method of the first wicket;
- Who will be the top batsman of the match;
- Who will be the top bowler of the match;
- Who will be the player of the match;
- Will there be odd or even innings runs;
- Which team will have the highest opening partnership;
- Will the match end in a tie;
- Will a fifty be scored in a match; and
- Will a hundred be scored in a match.
Here is a cricket 1st wicket method prop bet example presented by the 10bet betting site:
The first wicket method bet is a bet on how the first wicket in a cricket match will be taken. It includes bets such as:
- LBW (Leg Before Wicket);
- Run out;
- Stumped; and
- Any other method.
Here is another prop bet example of who will win the toss presented by the bet365 betting site:
Top cricket betting tips to help you to make a profit
Now that you understand the basics of cricket betting, here are some top cricket betting tips to help you to make a profit:
- Do your research - before you place a cricket bet, it is important that you do your research. This means knowing everything you can about the cricket teams, cricket players, cricket coaches, and cricket leagues. The more that you know about the match you will bet on, the better your chances are of making a profit.
- Set a budget - it is really important that you set a budget and stick to it. This will help you to avoid making impulsive bets that can lead to losses.
- Start small - it is always a good idea to start small and gradually increase your bets as you become more comfortable with the process.
- Be disciplined - when cricket betting, it is important to be disciplined and to only place bets when you are confident in your selection.
- Look for value bets - this means finding cricket bets with odds that are higher than they should be.
Cricket betting can be a fun and profitable way to add excitement to watching cricket matches. By understanding the basics of how cricket betting works, you can start making informed bets on your favourite cricket events.
Be sure to try out different types of bets to see what works best for you, and always remember to stay disciplined with your bankroll.
With these tips in mind, you’re ready to start betting on cricket like a pro!